This is an '84 Porsche 911 3.2 owned by James who kindly sent photos and has told us all about the work he has being doing:
I've had her just over 12 months, having purchased her as a backdate, with the body work and interior of a '73 RS car. A lot of bodywork and 'upgraded mods' had been completed by previous owners, but much of the 'core' of the car had been overlooked.
A serious refresh was needed and for anybody confined to the space of their own home during these recent times, a big project like this was ideal.
James told us it drives well, but...
It's very skittish on the front end on high speed cornering. Understeer is pretty common on these cars but this is so light it's on another level!
This led him to believe that his 911 would benefit from a front end brake and suspension refresh. We all know that one job on a car this age leads to another and before you know it, the whole thing is in bits.
Essentially I have stripped all brake and suspension components off the front, cleaned and powdercoated the lot. I replaced all bushes with poly bushes, refurbed the callipers, replaced disks with drilled and vented, and fitted EBC red stuff pads. Steering rack gaitors have been replaced, turbo tie rod ends fitted, front end fuel lines and filter from tank replaced and braided brake hoses fitted.
That's a lot more work than some people would dare to take on in a home garage but then it became even more complicated.
I then went to do the routine job of fitting braided hoses to the rear...
Who was it who said German engineering was efficient?
What would have been a really easy job ended up in me discovering a fluid leak on the rear brake union. This would not be a big deal, except that the brake pipe runs over the transmission! The only way to replace is to drop the engine and gearbox from the car.
Even James who is clearly a competent mechanic said that was a big deal for him and it's the furthest he's ever gone with a 911.
But what the hell, I did it anyway.
We should all take a lead out of his book and just give it a go. What's the worst that could happen?
It's resulted in me cleaning and then stripping all ancillaries from the engine, replacing gaskets, oil cooler seals, pressure sender seals and cam line oil feeds. Oil tanks have been out for blasting and coating, valve covers for vapour blasting and the fan off for paint. Brake lines etc were all replaced and just for fun, a lightweight flywheel and aluminium lightweight pressure plate was fitted.
His plan on the date of sending us those photos was to get the engine back in the following weekend, pending return of valve covers from blasters! He learned a lot from this experience and aside from breaking an already brittle speed sensor, he reckons it's been relatively painless and a lot of fun!